Factually speaking, the health benefits of turmeric could fill an encyclopedia; they are simply staggering, there is no other way to put it; and, it is by far the most powerful spice/herb on the planet. Its usage and benefits stretch back 5,000 years. And regarding its research, there have been over 7,000 scientific studies to date, that can confirm and attest to its many life-enhancing and even life-saving properties. Its consumption can greatly improve your health, across all ages, genders and varying medical health issues. To me, turmeric acts like a cure-all; albeit, with just a few, limited contraindications.
Most testimonials regarding the benefits of turmeric appear almost too good to be true; that being said, there are so many benefits, that it is considered a broad spectrum solution to whatever ails yah! Yet, a certain amount of caution needs to be addressed when taking turmeric in supplement form; and NOT, as a spice added to your food. According to the research, pregnant women, and users of heart various medications- thinners, and also those, that are taking other prescribed medications or even other supplements, need to be aware. Check out the possible ‘contraindications’ of your usage, before you begin taking turmeric supplements, in whatever form.
Now, that that’s out of the way, we can dive right into this amazing herb, its numerous properties, and the surprising long-term health benefits to be gained; all written of course, without too much exaggeration or hyperbole! :)
Organic and ‘metal-free’ turmeric in herb form, added to your foods, and used as a spice, is the most preferable way to ingest this miraculously healthy herb; additionally, to make it totally bio-available, use it in combination with organic pepper, as they work in tandem to magnify its benefits, mainly through their synergistic and multiplying effects. A few words of warning. Don’t buy turmeric, or any other spice for that matter, from your local supermarket or major discount store! Sold in packaged powdered form, these products are of poor quality, and are probably from a ‘questionable’ source; while, they are also most likely devoid of any true health benefits that real organic turmeric can give you.
The health benefits of using turmeric with your food or as a supplement are the following:
1. Helps to prevent liver disease, and can help to heal liver disease.
2. It can and has been proven to increase your mental powers, as well as being able to prevent the onslaught of dementia or Alzheimer’s.
3. It has also been shown to aid in depression, as a mood enhancer; even better than using pharmaceutical medications. And, with NO side-effects, other than mentioned above.
4. Improves digestion; it has been used in foods as a digest aid for thousands of years. It can also work wonders for people with bowel diseases.
5. Many studies have also shown dramatic results with weight-loss and weight-management.
6. Research has also demonstrated that it also works to lower bad cholesterol.
7. Diabetes patients and sufferers have also shown great improvement and a impressive reduction in symptoms.
8. People suffering from various forms of arthritis have also been greatly affected; their swelling and inflammations, including the pains, have been greatly curtailed.
9. Not surprisingly, turmeric has also had much success with many eye related problems and diseases; glaucoma for example.
10. Using turmeric as a weapon against cancer has also proven to be highly effective. It has been shown to help prevent prostate cancer, stop the growth of existing prostate cancer and even destroy cancer cells; numerous studies confirm this. Many researchers and scientists have also found that the active components in turmeric make it one of the best protectors against radiation-induced tumors. It is a preventive effect against tumor cells such as T-cell leukemia, colon carcinomas and breast carcinomas; just to name a few!
Hopefully, this has helped educate you on the basics of using turmeric in your life and diet. It is one of the most beautiful herbs on the planet. Used wisely, the health benefits of turmeric are astronomical to your health and longevity.